Austin, TX - Momo's

For the last year or so I've been considering moving to Austin, Texas. I'd considered New York, LA and Nashville, but I felt like Austin was the most intriguing of the four. It had this 'oasis in the desert' kind of vibe in my mind; an elusive music mecca that few had discovered. New York seems too stressful. LA seems too fake. Nashville seems too stuck in it's ways.

Austin is fresh(er). Austin is progressive. Austin is open minded. I was sitting at Momo's after our set listening to an Astor Piazzolla tribute quintet, appreciating the relief of finally sharing the stage with great, great musicians. It's been hard this summer listening to other bands that don't have coherent sounds. But these guys last night had obviously spent much time with their craft. And it was so noticeable. The Hot Mugs also shared the stage with my brother Nic's band, Making Movies, another band I admire for the work and love they put into their music. We got booked on the same night at Momo's by pure chance, we didn't try to do it. It was very inspiring last night, and I just sat there last night imagining a life in Austin, playing music every night, watching bands I like when I'm not.

I'm still not totally sold on Austin. That, or I'm scared to committing to an adventure. I'm going to let it simmer for a bit. Crunch time to make a decision is coming, but not here yet.

Last night was pure joy hanging out with Making Movies and my brother. Nic and I had a great talk over dinner and later we all made good friends with the bartender, who kept the bar open for us and drank and talked with us late into the night. It was so good to see my brother. He's the bass player in MM and a damn good one now. He's only been playing for a couple years, but he's such a musical guy; he picked it up very quick. The band is one of my favorite non-signed bands. You can download a free EP of their's here (it's at the bottom of the page on the left).

On our way to College Station, Texas. After that Houston, Dallas and then back to the northeast.

Peace and love, thanks for letting me think out loud about all this.

Jon

0 comments:

Post a Comment